Sunday, September 11, 2016

Windsurfing 101 on the Columbia

The Columbia River Gorge has been called the windsurfing capital due to the ideal wind conditions for all level of skill.  We wanted to watch these crazy people and as we drove along the Columbia on the Washington side the last couple of days, we noticed a state park that had many surfers launching out of.  Yesterday was ideal conditions for wind and was very sunny and warm.  We drove back west to the Spring Creek Fish Hatchery and State Park to see if we could find a good spot to watch.  What a treat.
Staging area

Same rules of the road that we knew as sailboaters
Hazards from nets, too

There was a picnic table with lots of shade and I asked a woman sitting there watching the 'boardheads' if I could sit with her at the table.  She looked very 'California surfer girl' only she was in her late 50's? maybe.  Of course, nosy Linda, I started a conversation with her and she explained so much.
Woman - far left - was my conversation partner when she sat down at table
She was watching her husband 'out there' and waiting for higher wind
This guy on land watching - came back and waited at the water's edge.
Later learned he was the 'hot-dogger' she talked about.


The 'hot-dogger' waited

One had a helmet on, the one on right did not (and no wet-suit)
Dave and I had sailboards at one time and I learned how to do it - did not really like it, Dave a tidge more experienced, and those boards now reside in Columbus, Ohio with Dennis.  But, we understood what these people were doing out there.  Absolutely amazing.  And looked effortless.  It's very hard to do, and even the lady said during our talk that it is difficult (she is very good from what I gathered) but to do 'kiting' which is the windsurf board with a kite attached and you literally are pulled along by the kite - well, she said - that is so much easier.  Huh!

He's still waiting
Notice waves, white caps?
?
Kiters zipping through
The wake they create - amazing
Waiting on wind

Zoom
Paddle boarders - I think one on left needed a longer paddle
She said that we were at the next to the highest level of skill launch area. The beginners are at Hood River where it joins to the Columbia River, on the Oregon side, and it's more protected, shallow, and a larger area to play in.  Then you move about 1/2 mile back from where we were sitting and that's the kiter's and the paddle-boarders launch area.  They need more space to launch and need very gusty winds to get the kite moving first.    Then you move to the beach/launch area we were at - those are the "wanna-bee's" pros where they are very good, but not professional.  Then just about 1000 feet further west is where the professionals launch from.  Those are the folks who win competitions, are real hot-doggers.  Aerial stunts, very fast, very competitive.
You could hire this plane for a ride, nope.
Coming in
That guy is still waiting




And so I asked - do you surf - yes, I do but I am saving my strength for when the wind gets higher, predicted in about an hour.  I have bronchitis and I can probably do about an hour's worth.  Wow.  We chatted for a bit then I asked her about the 'rules of the road' that was posted at the entrance.  She said - it's true.  'I had been out there doing my thing and I smelled the barge before I realized it was right up to me.  Scary.'  I had noticed some boardheads wore helmets, some didn't.  She said it is so common to collide with each other, you just aren't paying attention to your surroundings and only concentrating on yourself.   She also said that the river is very deep right here, about 90 feet deep, and the chop is tremendous when it blows about 30 miles an hour or more.  Right then it was about 25.


Wind is ebbing - starting to come in, river flattening out
My back would kill me if I was paddle boarding like the one on the left!
Many boardheads out sailing, then we saw 2 paddle boarders, jet skis, power boats, kiters, kayakers, an antique bi-plane flying overhead, lots of activity.  Then the wind died.  One man who had launched his board and was sitting in the water in front of me, waiting - I asked her about him.  She said - 'he's a hot-dog.  Comes here to show off.  Waits for the good wind and takes off.'  Only the wind died and he picked up his board/sail and came back out of the water.  Never went out.  She said that it is not fun to be on the other side and the wind dies - takes a long long time to get back.  Which we witnessed - one guy just took for ever - had to swim the board back.  I remember those days on Lake Erie - ended up with the sail propped on the board and laying on the board and paddling back.  Ugh.
Cars/vans open and no one around, honor system probably
Amazing thing Dave and I noticed - average age (we were guessing) was early 60's.  They were not young whipper-snappers!  Old farts like us.  Huh! But, to be able to do it - amazing.  On our way back to the car - most of the vans and cars were sitting wide open, no one around - gear piled up inside and laying on the ground.  Must be a code of honor - I would worry about theft but evidently they don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment