Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Twilight Fans!

I will confess, I have not read the Stephenie Meyers Twilight novels about Vampires and Werewolves nor have I seen the movies.  Amazing about not reading the books - I am an avid reader, usually have two or three books being read at the same time.  I do know about the theme of Twilight and what it is about, also reading about the stars of the movies so I do have some working knowledge of this whole phenomenon.  Or so I thought.

The first day of driving into Port Angeles I saw a Bella Italia Restaurant - caught my eye - looked like a good possibility to eat if we get a hankering for Italian food.  Said in sign in window - Bella and Edward at here.  Then a couple days later we drove to Lake Quinault which is on the Pacific Ocean and part of Olympic National Park and as we were driving there, drove through Forks, Washington.  What's this? Chamber of Commerce sign that said to visit to get a brochure on Twilight places; Bella's truck; the Community Hospital where Bella went due to being a klutz; the Police Station where her father was the Chief; Twilight book store? Edward Cullin did not sleep here on a hotel lodging sign. Twilight tour buses.  Huh?  Not until I got back to the RV and read about Forks and the Twilight connection did it all make sense.  The author did not visit the town yet she used many real places in her books. How did she know?

We had to stop on one of our pass-throughs to get pictures for all you Twilight fans. High school where Bella met Edward.  Bella Italia Restaurant where they had their first date.  La Push where Jacob (the werewolf) was from.  As a matter of fact, Sunday when we drove to La Push to see Rialto Beach (another part of Olympic National Park) there were road signs in La Push that said (Quinault Indian Nation) - no vampires allowed, only werewolves!  Hah.

What surprises us is that the town of Forks doesn't play this connection to the movies and books more than the token places.  Why not really cash in on this hysteria??  Regardless, Forks does exist and yes - there are werewolves in La Push - I saw two!  Guess I have to read the books now.

Tour bus

Twilight Central?

Forks High School
Port Angeles Restaurant
Twilight Gift Shop

Werewolves! No, just surfers.
See the Werewolves in the forest?

No comments:

Post a Comment