Saturday, September 21, 2019

National Quilt Museum, Paducah Kentucky

We made a visit to the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, Kentucky the other day.  We tried to remember when we were last here, not as campers but as hoteliers, sometime 2005 to 2007, and I remember that I was so excited about what I saw, just being new to quilting a couple of years.  I also remember buying stuff, the town is known for having a number of quilt shops.  Back then, being so new - seeing so many quilts on display really fueled my hobby.
I read that William Clark founded the town of Paducah, settling there after his trek across the country 1804-1806.  A statue to commemorate his contribution to the Corp of Discovery sits right outside the museum.


A quilt sculpted out of wood




The museum typically has rotating exhibits, this time it had 2 separate galleries to show off 2 distinctive style of quilting.  One gallery was Victoria Findlay Wolfe, and the other Danny Amazonas from the Philippines. Another gallery were miniature quilts, another was BOM (Block of the Month club quilts) and then some old, some new from different artists.
One of Wolfe's quilts - I liked this one
Another Wolfe's quilts
This time, now that I have over 325 quilts completed, I have to say that I was impressed but not wow'd like last time.  I also knew I was way under the skill and expertise of every quilt I saw, but - I made them and they are a product of my passion for quilting.  The fiber artists (that's what they call them) really used fabric and color to show off quilting.  Danny Amazonas creates quilts that you have to stand way back to understand what he was doing, very impressive.  Good example is his Mona Lisa quilt.  Upclose - can't figure it out but from a distance, wow.
Danny Amazonas' quilt (as well as next pictures)

Stand back to see the Mona Lisa
Just wants you to squeeze these beautiful puppies

Up close - the detail, the different fabrics.  Amazing.
Could you tell I was impressed with Danny's?
After viewing the museum, we did not go shopping like last time - I have enough in my resource center to make probably 8 quilts.  So, I do not need to replenish at this time.
My favorite one

These are tiny quilts!

No comments:

Post a Comment