Friday, March 4, 2011

San Antonio

We closed up the RV yesterday morning with a crowd watching, talking, and I guess, getting their last thoughts in to us. With that said, when you have a routine established and there is disruption or commotion around you, you tend to make mistakes or forget to do things. Dave and I always double check each other in outside, making sure compartments are locked, windows closed, antenna down, etc. So, forgot to lock some things - good thing Dave was checking me. Then inside I forgot to move something inside and when I started the slide in, I busted it. I had Sandy inside talking to me the whole time and I forgot to do some things. Oh well. Once we hooked up and got to the front office to sign out and pay our electric bill, we got on the road by 9:40am. Was a great ride due north for about 130 miles, then we headed west on I37 into San Antonio for another 65 miles. We went from Rio Grande Valley tropical flat hot dry climate to a nice rolling hills and very pretty area. We are now in the Hill Country of Texas. I am anxious to see the famous Blue Bonnets flowers that are everywhere - should be coming up within the next couple of days. Temps are great was in the low 60s last night and should reach 80 today. We may see a thunderstorm tonight - would be the first rain in 7 weeks.

Today we will head into San Antonio - about 5 miles away - and scope out the town. There are 5 missions (Alamo is one) and the famous river walk. I saw many museums and outdoor things to do as well as a steam engine railroad ride into the heart of Hill Country (going west) that we will look into. We love history so need to make sure we can soak up as much as we can before moving on.

The campground we are at - Braunig Lake RV Resort - is a beautiful campground. About 350 sites, they are paved pads, grass! between each site, we have about 5 feet more space between each site. Many many Ontario people here which makes sense - they can drive due north on I35 right into Manitoba and then over to Saskatchewan - our neighbor is from there. Mostly 5th wheels here and I say that tongue in cheek - on each side of us are big monster Class A motor homes and in front of us as well. Slept great last night but I did miss hearing the Chachalakas this morning, the Great Kiskadees, seeing Bubbles do her dance when the man comes to take her for a walk, the hoot owl at night. But did hear coyotes howling in the field behind us. How cool. Plan on staying a week, maybe longer if we don't get everything done. We will be going to north of Austin on our next stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment