Friday, January 28, 2011

Harlingen

Yesterday we drove east and went to a town called Harlingen. There was a quilt shop there - which is the only one in this entire valley! and I needed some things that I forgot to bring. Afterward I told him there was another 'world birding center' right down the road, so of course after a 45 minute we had to get out and stretch our legs. We didn't see many birds but the cactus (cacti?) was something to see. If you want to see birds you need to see them in the morning and then late in the afternoon. We were there at 1pm so only saw the fauna. We are about 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico here and I was surprised at the cactus. You don't see them in McAllen so I was a bit surprised. Dave told me to step by one to show people just how big these cactus patches get - and I told him "no, I am scared of the rattlesnakes." We stamped our feet (that's what they tell you to do) to scare them away. Also - something we asked at the beginning - if we get bit by a rattlesnake - what do we do? Should we have anti-venon available? Everyone says to put a turnicat loosely around the area and get to a hospital. I wondered why not tightly to really not allow the poison to move up into the main part of the body and they said that no, you will kill the skin and body area if you do that - you need some blood flow to all the area. Yikes! Anyhow - I don't like snakes - no, I HATE snakes so I really stamped my feet big time - yeah I am sure I over did it - but I didn't care! Anyhow - you can see just how large these bushes get. Was a nice park - people walking dogs so whatever birds were in the area were frightened away.
One other thing. We got an ice cream craving and went to a local Dairy Queen for a fix. Couldn't find a parking spot - how come? Well, seems this DQ caters big time to the Winter Texans and Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays the DQ manager hosts BINGO of all things! The place was packed because of this. I think they have to buy something before they are allowed to sit and play bingo. Ah, no thanks - not into BINGO.

No comments:

Post a Comment