Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wolves Howling and Fog Horns

Last evening as Dave was walking the garbage up front and stopped in his tracks - wolves howling! He came back and said - you hear that? Well, how could I not? And we heard the pack howling again later, then again this morning. Then, he when he came back after the garbage run he said, did you see the bear trap? What? Where? He talked with the owner and he said that there is a bear that roams around and right now they know it's about 20 miles more north on the Keweenaw Peninsula (this spit of land we are on). Okay, so now I am thinking - are we safe? But then you hear the kids running around and out here without any parent yelling, and I calmed down. We have almost hit deer 2 times - standing right on the road and we had to slam on the breaks and honk the horn to get the kids running. The only thing I haven't seen is a moose - you would think they would be everywhere. And they are from what the locals said. I spent last evening with my feet in Lake Superior - at first I was going to cry from it being so cold, but then I think they became numb from the cold. Anyway, since my foot was still swollen and hurting from the hike a couple of days ago, no icing, just Lake Superior. Watched the fog come in and out - the fog is another factor. It is sunny and beautiful one minute and then bam - the fog rolls in. I discovered that when the wind starts up, the fog rolls in. Wind stops, fog goes away. This is the passway for freighters leaving and returning to Duluth so you can hear the engines of the freighters even though you can't see it. But, you do hear the fog horn. Again, pretty awesome. Did I mention that we are parked at the end, by the boat house? When I first called and said we were a really big RV, high profile, long truck - need extra space - the owner Bill said - well, just put you at the Boat House. You will be alone, but it's really a premier spot. And it is! From this picture you can see why it's called the boat house! And yes, that was a working boat that they took out fishing, and now resides here. We have our RV right in front of this, against the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment